EAL welcomes scholarship treating writings up to around 1830 that were composed in or treat the circumstances of life in North America.
- All submissions must be in English, though they may treat works written in Spanish, Dutch, German, French, or Native American languages.
- Documentation should be in MLA format.
Authors must secure permissions for illustrations and quotations drawn from proprietary sources such as unpublished manuscripts or Native American heritage expressions. There is no set limit on the number of illustrations that may accompany an article. There are no set limits on images. If you wish to use images, these are the requirements from UNC Press:
Please provide images that are at least 5” wide, with a minimum resolution of 300 pixels per inch (ppi). Tif/TIFF files are preferred, with jpg/JPEG acceptable if that is the only format available from an archive or library. Please secure written permissions and provide a copy of permissions.
- Manuscripts should not exceed 40 pp. in length with notes and citations. When preparing the manuscript, please put your name and title on a separate title sheet and omit it from the body of your essay.
- Submissions may be posted electronically to the editor at Sandra.M.Gustafson.email@example.com in a current version of Microsoft Word.
- Submissions are typically evaluated by one or more outside readers, a member of the editorial board, and the editor, and take approximately four months to process.
See also our publication ethics and malpractice statement.